What is FreeMaps Toolbar?
FreeMaps Toolbar is a yet another toolbar from Mindspark family. It was developed by Mindspark Interactive Network and is powered by Ask. The toolbar is promoted at download-freemaps.com. This page states that the application can provide you with detailed maps, turn-by-turn directions, live traffic reports, best gas prices, and more. It is compatible with all popular browsers. You may find the program useful, however, you should keep in mind that it also has certain disadvantages. It changes your browser settings and it can be found bundled with malicious software. If you notice any unwanted symptoms, we suggest that you get rid of FreeMaps Toolbar without hesitation.
How does FreeMaps Toolbar work?
Once FreeMaps gets installed, it adds a toolbar to your browser, which appears below the address box. The toolbar contains such quick access buttons as Map Search, Traffic, Map Links, People Search, To Do List, and Gas Prices. It also has a search box that redirects you to search.tb.ask.com. The program may also alter your browser settings including your home page and default search engine switching them to Ask.com. You can trust Ask Search to bring you reliable results, however, it will also show you ads and sponsored links. If you want to go back to your regular search tools, you will have to reset your browsers.
As it has already been mentioned, the toolbar has an official webpage at download-freemaps.com. You can download the program from this site. However, if that is not how you acquired the application, you should check your PC for other potentially unwanted software. Potentially unwanted applications often accompany freeware and shareware. When you install free software, you are presented with additional offers. If you do not decline them, the applications get installed automatically. If you never wanted to acquire the toolbar in the first place, you should delete FreeMaps Toolbar from your computer.
How to remove FreeMaps Toolbar?
If you want to terminate FreeMaps Toolbar, you can do that manually or automatically. If you choose manual FreeMaps Toolbar removal, you will have to uninstall FreeMaps Toolbar from your computer and eliminate it from browsers. If you also want to remove Ask Search tools, you will have to restore your home page and default search engine. Instructions below explain in detail how you can complete all of these tasks. If, on the other hand, you choose to delete FreeMaps Toolbar automatically, these tasks will be completed for you. The anti-malware utility presented on our page will scan your system, detect all potential threats and eliminate FreeMaps Toolbar completely.
Manual FreeMaps Toolbar removal guide
Step 1: Unintall FreeMaps Toolbar from Windows
- Move the cursor to the bottom right
- Click on Settings and go to Control Panel
- Select Uninstall a program
- Choose FreeMaps Toolbar
- Click Uninstall
Windows 7 and Vista/Windows XP
- Access Control Panel via Start menu
- Select Uninstall a program/Add or remove programs
- Choose FreeMaps Toolbar
- Click Uninstall/Remove
Step 2: Delete FreeMaps Toolbar from browsers
- Click on the menu and select Add-ons
- Move to Extensions section
- Delete FreeMaps Toolbar
- Enter chrome://extensions in the URL field
- Remove FreeMaps Toolbar
Step 3: Terminate Ask Search tools
- Tap Alt+T and click Manage Add-ons
- In Search Providers, remove Ask Search
- Choose a new search provider
- Press Alt+T again and select Internet Options
- On General tab, replace your home page and click OK
- Open the menu and click Options
- On the General tab replace your home page
- Go to Search tab and erase Ask Search
- Select a new search engine
- Click on the menu and select Settings
- In On Startup section click Set pages
- Change your home page and click OK
- In Search section click Manage search engines
- Eliminate Ask Search and pick a new provider