Adware application (also known as an ad-injection software) is an unwanted addition to any computer, because it can cause users a lot of problems. Though it promises to enrich your time spend browsing, in reality it achieves the exact opposite. Once it infiltrates the system, it starts displaying numerous pop-ups, pop-unders, banners, in-text ads, etc. which are almost impossible to avoid.
According to the users, advertisements are very annoying, distracting, and capable of making every browsing experience miserable. Computer experts also add that some of the presented advertisements can be dangerous and can expose users to malicious content what usually results in malware infection. In some cases, adware might alter browsers’ settings as well.
Ad-supported application usually enters Mac system bundled with freeware or shareware that user’s acquire from unofficial and untrustworthy pages. You are at risk of getting infected with such program, if you often download software from CNET Download, Softonic, or Brothersoft. Keep in mind that various potentially unwanted applications, including ad-supported programs, are used to monetize free downloads from these sources. Users are often allowed to deselect the undesirable software, however since they rarely monitor the installation wizard, this opportunity is usually missed. In the future, we recommend to choose more trustworthy pages or to be more careful during your freeware installations. While adware programs are not malicious, know that you can also install really hazardous software this way. If adware is already in your system, under this article you will find instructions on how to remove it from your Mac.
Safari users should follow these instructions in order to clean their Mac:
- Launch Safari. Choose Safari from the menu bar and tap Preferences.
- In the General tab, check if your Default search engine is the one that you trust.
- Afterwards, make sure that you like your Homepage as well.
- Move to the Extensions tab and determine which extensions seem suspicious to you.
- From the list on the left, choose the untrustworthy extension and click the Uninstall button.
- If you are not sure whether the program is trustworthy or not, you can uncheck the Enable button temporarily.
Detailed directions for Mozilla Firefox users on how to get rid of the unwanted adware are presented here:
- Run your Mozilla Firefox and open Settings (top right corner).
- Choose Add-ons and go to Extensions tab.
- From the provided list, delete all extensions that look unreliable and may have been created by the intruder.
- Access Settings again and go to the General tab. Make sure that your default search tool is trustful.
- Also, check your home page and choose another, if the adware changed it without permission.
For Google Chrome users our research team prepared these guidelines to help with adware removal:
- Launch your browser and open the menu (top right corner of your screen).
- Choose Settings and move to More tools.
- Pick Extensions and decide which ones were created by an adware program.
- Choose the suspicious extension and click the trash bin icon next to it.
- If you are not sure whether the extension is dangerous, you can uncheck the Enable box temporarily.
- You should also see, if the adware changed your home page and default search tool.
- Access menu and select Settings again. Tap Open a page or a set of pages (under On startup).
- Press Set pages and check your home page.
- Afterwards, click Manage Search Engines and see if your current default search engine is reliable.